October 29, 2020

The October Thundersnow

Towards the end of October we had one of the crazier storms we’ve had here. First it got really windy and cold, and then in the middle of the night we had so much thunder, lightning and hail, hail, hail!! It hailed for hours and was so loud against the windows. Nobody in Amarillo slept that night. And then for the next few days it stayed cold and we received more wind, freezing rain, then finally about 6 inches of snow on top of it all. So crazy for Texas! 

The kids had the best time playing outside though, and I was so grateful that I had gone through our attic earlier this year to make sure everyone had proper snow gear in the correct size because we sure needed it last week. They had fun sledding, digging, building snowmen, and collecting icicles. School was delayed most mornings, and outright cancelled one day so Sophie was able to join in the fun too. Dave was also able to work from home all that week and I was glad he did not have to try and commute because we don’t really have snow plows here to clear the roads.

Amarillo has some of the wildest weather. Check out that forecast! We went from almost 90 degrees to blizzard in just a few days. 


The pile of hail where the roof run off collects was over a foot deep


It may look like snow, but that is all little hail pellets


I did Griffin outside for just a bit to watch what was going on


Sledding down the icy driveway


Then a few days later we got 6" of snow on top of all the ice


The van really struggles to get up the driveway into the garage when it's icy so I shoveled a track. Luckily it's a west facing driveway so it always gets some good sun exposure in the morning to help melt things out so I don't have to shovel the entire thing.


Back outside for more fun now that there is actual snow to play in!





No comments: