- Were sick with the stomach flu (my personal favorite)
- Were sick with strep throat
- Were sick with pink eye
- Needed a change of clothes because they fell at recess and soaked every piece of clothing they were wearing
- Needed a change of clothes because they dumped lasagna in their lap at lunch
- Needed a change of clothes because their pants ripped not in the back, and not in the legs, but in the front, you know where (the poor boy was so embarrased to tell me this)
- Needed a change of clothes because they didn't make it to the bathroom in time (the poor girl was not at all embarrased to tell me this)
- Needed a change of clothes because they got a massive bloody nose at recess
- Did not want to go to class and tried to camp out in the office because they were "injured"
- Were sad because of a lost butterfly hair clip with pink sparkles
- Got checked out early for one of the illnesses listed above, but mom did not tell dad, and dad flew off the handle because he could not find his daughter after school and thought we had lost her
And then while I was out handling one of the problems, one of our student's left this sweet note at my desk:
It reminded me that I am lucky to work at such an amazing school, and that I do love my job, and the kids, and most of the parents (there are some people in this world that still need to learn how to be a grown up).